Monday, March 28, 2011

Being a Child of God - Living Life in Reverse:

Young Child:  When I was a young child, there was no one more important in my life than my parents.  I relied on them for everything.  I wanted to spend all of my time with them, talking to them about my day and hearing stories from them.  Their arms and lap were my safety zone, and I knew with them around I was safe enough to explore, learn and try anything my brave little mind could imagine.  However, I also knew that if I got bumps and bruises along the way, their comforting touch was enough to make all the pain go way. 

Older Child:  Through the years, I had finally learned pain and disappointment.  Lessons not easily forgotten and I no longer felt that my parents love and embrace were enough to make me feel better.  I had been hurt by trying new things, and I did not expect my parents to always protect me, so I stopped trying anything I could image.  I settled for what seemed safe.  My parents were still important to me, and I still relied on them.  However, I did not crave time with them each day.  I appreciated that they were willing to sacrifice to meet my needs in life, like food, clean clothing, and shelter, but I needed to have some separation to enjoy the world around me.

Teenager:  It was all about me!  My only focus was what I wanted to do and how I wanted to act.  Independence was all I craved.  I wanted to make all the decisions about my life with no guidance from my parents.   They thought they knew best, and they offered me some advice, but I did not listen.  They did not really know me or my life, and I was afraid they would not like the real me.  So, I stopped talking to them, and I no longer took their advice for my life… no matter how much they reached out to me.  I rarely interacted with them, other than on the weekends or holidays, and that was the way I liked it.  I needed to live life the way I wanted to live, and I wanted to fit in with everyone around me.  Despite the fact my parents were always offering to be there for me, I just really did not need them.  I was smart, and I was ready to live life in my own way.
 
Adult:   Finally on my own, separated from my parents, I felt free to live life any way I chose.  My parents were separate from the life I was living, and they had very little input in my daily life.  Sure, they created me, but I simply did not need them anymore.  It was my life, and I was finally living it my way. 
If only I could have stopped the aging process.  If only I could have gone back to the simple way of life…relying on my parents for everything….AND I COULD.  As I left the home of my earthly parents,  my focus turned towards my Heavenly Father.
 
When we become a child of God, we learn to live our life in reverse.  We stop living like an adult, totally separated from our Father.  We slowly learn to live like a teenager, aware that God is there waiting to help us, even if we really don’t want to listen.  As we begin to feel His calling more in our life, we learn to appreciate the sacrifices He had made for us, to meet our need for cleansing Salvation, nourishment, and love.   When we finally grow in our faith and totally give ourselves over to God like a young child, we learn to rely on Him for everything.  We crave time with Him, love to listen to His voice above all else in the world, and we know that with Him, we can be brave enough to try anything we imagine.  Finally, the simple life again… love, guidance, protection, and nourishment at all times and in all ways…from our Heavenly Father.  His arms are the safest place in this world until one day He will carry us to our heavenly to our creator.  


No comments:

Post a Comment