Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I believe God has a sense of humor...

I am not joking (no pun intended).  I genuinely think God has a sense of humor.  I think that is why we physically, mentally, and spiritually benefit form it.  However, I think that sometimes He uses it to teach us lessons as well.  You see, I have learned in my life that if I don't like something or have a strong fear of it...God will use it to teach me a lesson.

Example 1: I never wanted twins.  I wasn't the type of woman who says, "I hope I have twins."  I never dreamed I'd want to mother two babies at one time.  Yet, God led me down a very long path to become the mother of twins.  It was a life changing and spiritually altering journey that taught me to rely on God and His wisdom far more than my simple dreams and wishes.  I wouldn't have had it any other way.  He has blessed me beyond measure to love them, watch them grow, and guide them.  I can't imagine having had them one at a time, and I know that many of my motherly blessings came directly from having twins.  He prepared it just that way.  

Example 2:  I have a Bachelor's Degree in Child Development, but I NEVER wanted to work with kids. I couldn't imagine dealing with children, especially other people's children for that much time.  I simply used the degree to lead me towards a Master's program in the field I wanted to work, Counseling. However, after only 5 years of being at my dream job, I left to become a  full-time stay-at-home mom.  I loved it, and I knew that is where God called me.  I spent hours utilizing my unwanted degree to prepare our daily "experiential" lessons and make my job as mother so much more rewarding.  Then 4 years later, I began teaching a children's program at our church.  I would spend all week thinking about, preparing for, and praying over our next lesson.  In fact, I loved teaching that class more than I ever enjoyed my dream job.  It is so amazing to see that I chose that "meaningless" degree, and He made it so meaningful to my life.

Example 3:  I am a Type A personality.  I do not like change!  I prefer consistency and order ALL THE TIME.  However, God teaches me some of my best lessons through unexpected and unwanted chaos and change.   My initial instinct to change is to grimace and get upset.  I do like that anything...especially THIS thing...has to change.  God has proven that He knows best.  After a little time and prayer, I see how His ways warned me this was coming.  He had been preparing me for it whether I had realized it at the time or not.  I am blessed that I have been directly able to see how He has made things better, in small and big ways, every time.

You see, He is my creator.  He has been with me for almost all of my life.  He knows who I am better than I do.  So, if he wanted to teach me a lesson though opportunities I enjoy, He could do that.  Yet, time and again He uses the things I dread the most to teach me the most valuable and life altering lessons.  So, I say again..I believe God has a sense of humor.   And I am so glad that I get to benefit physically, mentally, and spiritually from His humor each time.

No comments:

Post a Comment